Friday, October 24, 2008

Another Day Another Nude


I've been good and finally finished a folder of work to send to my tutor. I also have included all my latest portrait work including this watercolour pencil drawing of our six-month pregnant life model. This was the first time I had ever worked with watercolour pencils in a class situation and have to say that despite the fact that they do look wishy washy and pale in colour for indicating tone and shadow they're wonderful. It would be great to eventually work up a full painting from one of these sketches as long as I can remember skin tone, light direction etc.

Coming up to the busiest time of year. I have entered two paintings in the "Art For Tender" event at Electra Gallery in mid November. Also have a few to go into the Otane Arts and Crafts Open Weekend on the 1st and 2nd of November. Then it's time to get ready for the Creative Hastings Christmas Sale. With tough economic times facing New Zealand and the rest of the world it's hard to know how much will sell even in the run up towards Christmas. However I think artists are like gardeners- eternal optomists. No matter what happens you always hope for the best no matter how many slugs nibble at your begonias.

No comments: