Thursday, May 22, 2008

Final Workshops


Not much painting done again this week although I did do quite a bit of sketching at portrait class last Friday including this pastel on green which I did in twenty minutes. The model liked it which was gratifying for me as he poses for other artists and has seen alot better work than mine.

Over the weekend I tried to get a painting finished to submit for the Otane Queen's Birthday Weekend Exhibition but too much happened so I had to be content sending in three older pictures which have not been exhibited in Central Hawkes Bay: Hippy Cat No 3, Celtic Mandala and Horsewatching (I put a large price on this as I don't really want to sell it). I also sent in 48 cards and am hoping that these will go well so I can buy some firewood.

Monday was our third workshop in the Artists in Business series. I had been looking forward to this so much over the past fortnight, especially as the third session was about pricing. Found out that I am selling far to cheaply. Also discovered what I am doing wrong with selling, a common problem with creative types who tend to sell something cheaper if they don't like it or else point out all the mistakes to prospective buyers. I always thought that was modesty but in reality it's just stupid wearing a new hat.

Unfortunately we had to leave twenty minutes early on Monday so missed the talk on approaching galleries but Lani promised to spend an extra 30 minutes going over it after the fourth workshop. This was about taxes, something you don't really want to think about but have to face at some point. I was amazed at all the things I could be claiming on my tax return. Lani also gave us a much easier method to keep track of receipts rather than having them rot in the bottom of our shopping bags and purses. She also explained about GST which is still a pretty daunting prospect but I won't be put off with registering if my income (hopefully) rises to the threshold (she says hopefully).

The day just flew past so quickly and all too soon it was 1pm and people began leaving. Fortunately Lani agreed to revisit the galleries issue with seven of us and gave us a list of do's and don'ts to follow (making appointments, dressing well etc.) Gine later said how that was the best part of the whole series for her. I must say I was blown away by the level of talent that attended the sessions. So many gifted people who should be much more well known. I just hope some will keep in touch so we can keep the momentum going.

No comments: