Thursday, April 19, 2007

Abby Brooch and Library Withdrawals


Finally got back to painting this week completing the abyssinian cat on paua brooch that was ordered a while back. I love the abbys as they're so full of personality.


Legs are nearly falling off as I try to complete spinning 300 grams of chocolate brown alpaca for Fiberz which I want to send away tomorrow. I hope it's up to their standard- I am trying to spin as finely as I can.


Yesterday was my big day in town- I was getting library withdrawals as it had been six weeks since my last visit so I joined up with the Hastings Public Library. Being a new member meant I was only allowed to borrow three books but the young librarian informed me on my next visit I can borrow up to 50! It was like a treasure trove in there as it's much larger than Napier library and of course I haven't read most of the books there so I was in heaven. Came away with a book on Anna Sewell (who wrote Black Beauty), one on the artist who drew Rupert Bear and another called "Henrietta" written by a woman who was a life model posing for Lucien Freud amongst others before becoming a traveller in the later 1960s travelling Britain by horse drawn gypsy wagon. With the nights closing in and becoming chilly it's lovely to curl up with an interesting story.

2 comments:

cre8tivkj said...

You spin alpaca? Do you own alpacas? I was just surfing around and stumbled on your blog and found a fellow spinner of alpaca! My husband and I just purchased our first three females (two are pregnant) and we are working feverishly to get fencing up to bring them home so we can enjoy them! They are still at the farms we bought them from. Also, we just had baby kittens yesterday (momma had five of them). I noticed your beautiful cat painting (I draw animals with charcoal). Beautiful work.
Karen Gielen
MyLullabyBabyStore.com
Baby bedding, kids bedding, crib bedding, childrens bedding, bedding

damask22 said...

Hi Karen

I wish I did own an alpaca. I'm lucky enough though to know people who breed them and so can always get my hands on some fibre to spin. I am also spinning commercially for a place in the South Island of New Zealand.

Thanks for commenting on my work!
Jen